This Tuscan Chicken Casserole Recipe with creamy sun-dried tomato sauce on top of tender chicken and covered with provolone is incredible. You would never know how easy this is or that it has less than 10 ingredients.
- 3 lb chicken tenders
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp roasted or regular garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz cooking liquid from the chicken or chicken stock
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook the chicken tenders until cooked through. I cook mine in a covered casserole dish for 30 minutes at 350. Reserve 3 oz of the cooking liquid and drain the rest.
- In a small blender or food processor puree the sun-dried tomatoes and warm water until they are pureed. Add the basil and process until it is chopped.
- In a medium bowl mix the sun-dried tomato puree, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt, and cooking liquid or chicken stock. Once it is pretty smooth, mix in the spinach.
- Spread the sauce on top of the chicken tenders. Top with the provolone cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Once the casserole is prepared you can wait to bake it. I prepped it in the early afternoon, put it in the fridge, and then baked it right before dinner. You will need to increase the final baking time if it is cold when you put it in the oven.
- You can also just make this with leftover cubed or shredded chicken or thinly sliced chicken breasts. Just proceed with the sauce recipe and adjust the cooking time as needed.