This is the Healthy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup you’ll ever make, starts with a simple homemade chicken broth, and the option of making your own egg noodles!
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 3-4 large carrots diced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 6 cups Homemade chicken broths (see recipe below), or substitute about 6 cups high-quality chicken broth
- 3-4 additional cups low-sodium chicken broth for soup (*see note below)
- 1 teaspoon salt , to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary ,or more, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 batch homemade egg noodles* , or 5 cups bite-size dry farfalle or egg noodles
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken , pulled from the chicken used to cook the homemade broth, recipe below
- Add butter, diced celery and carrots to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and season the broth with salt (definitely TASTE the broth before adding more salt), pepper, and a tiny pinch of rosemary, sage and crushed red pepper. I may add another small spoonful of “better than bullion” chicken or chicken bouillon powder as well, if needed, to taste.
- Bring broth to a boil. Add noodles (either the uncooked homemade egg noodles, or dry store-bought pasta) and cook just until noodles are al dente.
- If using store-bought noodles, be cautious not to overcook them! Remove pot from heat as soon as they are just barely tender. The noodles will continue to cook once you remove the pot from the heat, and you don’t want them mushy.
- Add chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken. Taste the broth again and add more seasonings, if needed.
- *I like to use Better than Bullion chicken base, mixed with water, instead of canned chicken broth