This Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon is loaded with flavor and can be on the table in no time when you need a quick and easy low-carb dinner or lunch!
- 1 lb. thick sliced bacon, cut into squares (Use more or less bacon to taste.)
- 1 T bacon grease (reserved from cooking the bacon)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large head green cabbage, cut into large bite-sized chunks
- pinch hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut the bacon strips into squares.
- Cut the cabbage in half, cut out the core, and cut the cabbage in large bite-sized chunks.
- Heat a very large frying pan over medium high heat. (We used a 14 Inch Frying Pan; use the largest pan you have. Add the bacon and cook, stirring a few times, until all the bacon is browned and crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate you’ve covered with a double layer of paper towels to drain.
- Remove all the bacon fat from the pan except about 1 tablespoon (more or less, according to your preference, but we thought this amount was perfect.) Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the bacon fat is shimmering.
- Add the cabbage into the pan and cook 5-6 minutes, turning a few times so the cabbage cooks on all sides.
- Add the crisp bacon back into the pan with the cabbage and cook 5-6 minutes more, turning frequently to get the bacon flavor throughout the cabbage and to get the cabbage nicely browned on all sides.
- When the cabbage is softened to your liking, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste. If you’d like a bit of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Serve hot. This will keep in the fridge for a day or two and can be reheated in a hot frying pan, but it’s best freshly made.